Skip Navigation
search icon Open Search Field

Apply for Housing

On-Campus Housing

It is the policy of the University that all students, space permitting, who have not achieved 21 years of age prior to the start of the academic year and have earned 90 credit hours or less, must live in university-operated residence halls unless they commute from the home of a parent or legal guardian. A local resident is defined as a person residing within 60 miles of the University. All requests for waivers of the policy must be directed in writing to the Dean of Students.  Please note that all residence halls close for Winter and Spring Breaks, therefore, no housing will be provided for students during these periods.


Priority applications for New/ First time students will open on April 15th and close June 5th.  Applications will be processed upon payment of the $170.00 non-refundable Enrollment Fee.  Once you receive confirmation of payment of the enrollment fee, log in to the New Student Orientation Portal to complete the New Student Housing Application. Late applications submitted June 6th-30th will be processed according to space availability.

Priority applications for Returning and Readmit students will open on April 15th, and close June 5th.  Students must log into the BearsNet Portal to complete the housing application and pay the $150.00 non-refundable housing application fee. Applications cannot be submitted without payment. Late applications received June 6th -30th will be processed based on space availability.

Off-Campus HOUSING

Students requesting to live off campus must complete the Off-Campus Housing application and must meet at least one of the following conditions for approval:

  • Live with a parent or legal guardian within sixty miles of campus
  • Be at least 21 years old.
  • Earned at least 90 credit hours.
  • Be a veteran who has served more than 180 or more consecutive days.
  • Have a dependent who resides with you.
  • Married

Off-Campus Housing Application

Frequently Asked Questions

Need to know what to bring or what to leave as you prepare to live on campus?
Visit the FAQs page for a list of basic questions about campus living?

Personal Property Insurance

Shaw University assumes no responsibility for the loss, damage, or theft of student property in the residence halls.  All students are encouraged to purchase their own personal property insurance from the provider of their choice. 

Smoking and Alcohol Policies

Shaw University is an alcohol and smoke-free campus.  All students and visitors must adhere to the University smoking and alcohol policies. Smoking in any form is prohibited anywhere on campus.  Students found in violation of these policies may receive a university sanction and be subject to dismissal from university housing.