Thomas J. Boyd Chapel
Thomas J. Boyd Chapel Service - Every Sunday during the semester, Chapel Service will begin at 9:00 a.m. in the Thomas Boyd Chapel.
The Thomas J. Boyd Chapel at Shaw University was first dedicated on June 15, 1948. After World War II, the United States military had a surplus of wood framed "temporary" chapel buildings which were being made available to the civilian sector. Shaw University applied for one of these chapels and one was so designated. It came from Camp Sutton.
In 1993, the Thomas J. Boyd Chapel was completely renovated. The renovation was made possible because of funds donated by Dr. Thomas J. Boyd, a 1948 Shaw graduate for whom the chapel was subsequently named. Dr. Boyd, who was born in Brooklyn, New York, was active on campus during his time at Shaw and served as the student body president during his senior year.
While at Shaw, he assumed the pastorate of Pleasant Plains Baptist Church in Ahoskie, North Carolina and would later return to New York to serve as the pastor of Salem Missionary Baptist Church in Brooklyn. He served as pastor of Salem for 45 years until his retirement in 2006. Dr. Boyd remained a strong supporter of Shaw, initiating a lecture series in honor of his late mother Bessie Boyd Holman, and contributing to various Chapel events, programs and seminars.
The re-dedication of the Thomas J. Boyd Chapel took place on November 21, 1993. Today, the Chapel continues to serve as an educational sanctuary for Shaw’s students, staff and community where their religious commitment can be enhanced and uplifted.
A chief aim of Shaw University is to provide an educational setting where "Religion and learning go hand in hand and where character grows with knowledge." Therefore, the primary mission of Campus Ministry is to create an environment where the students' religious commitment can be enhanced and authenticated. The Dean of the Chapel, Dr. Quincy Scott, Jr., leads the planning, implementing and/or officiating at a variety of services and programs each week. Not withstanding Shaw's relationship to the Baptist denomination, all worship services and programs are ecumenical. Students are exposed to basic Christian doctrine, regular inquiry to the meaning of Holy Scripture, and issues confronting students at this stage of their development.
The Rev. Henry Martin Tupper, founder of Shaw, did not distinguish between secular and Christian education. The Chapel continues to serve as an integrating force, offering a perspective which brings together academic, social and spiritual development.
Cultural and Spiritual Enrichment Seminars begin at 11:00 a.m., unless otherwise noted, in The Thomas J. Boyd Chapel.