Skip Navigation
search icon Open Search Field

Student Complaint Process

Shaw University is committed to mutual respect among all members of the university community. This commitment includes students, faculty, staff, and administration alike. In all concerns about fair treatment, we seek to work together to understand and address those concerns without having to file a formal grievance. When that is not possible, we are at all levels committed to a fair and reasonable resolution of issues through a formal grievance process guided by the information and documentation provided in the process. The regulation described below guides the orderly procedure of grievance, and attempts at resolution. (Excluding Judicial Grievances addressed by a separate Policy)

Filing a Grievance with Shaw University

If a student has any issue or concern regarding the living and learning environment or policies at Shaw University, s/he is asked to please submit a student complaint/grievance form. This form is located online in Bearsnet:

All student concerns will be addressed within two weeks of notification to Student Affairs/Academic Affairs. Issues will be resolved in a timely fashion as time and resources will allow.
If a grievance or complaint cannot be resolved through this process, the student may file a complaint with North Carolina Post-Secondary Education, a state liaison, SARA NC, or SACSCOC. Contact information is below.

Contact Information for NC Post-Secondary Education Complaints

If a student is unable to resolve a complaint through the institution's grievance procedures, s/he should review the Student Complaint Policy (PDF), print out and complete the Student Complaint Form (PDF), and submit the complaint form to:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina General Administration
910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688
Phone: 919.962.4550

Contact Information for All State Liaisons

Click here to access contact information and student complaint resources by state.

SARA NC (State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement North Carolina)

A student may also file a complaint through SARA-NC. SARA-NC is the portal for the North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority. A student wishing to file a complaint should follow the Complaint Process and complete the Complaint Form.

State Portal Entity Contact Information
North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority
P.O. Box 14103
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Phone: 855.727.2162 or 919.549.8614 (ext. 4667)

Complaint Procedures Against SACSCOC or its Accredited Institutions

Review the policy statement, complaint procedures, and information sheet as well as access the complaint form at
SACSCOC Contact Information
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097
Phone: 404.679.4500

Normal inquiries about Shaw University, such as admission requirements, financial aid, educational programs, etc., should be addressed directly to Shaw University and not to the SACSCOC office.